Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Junior Dos Santos on Brock Lesnar: "He's Got a Weak Chin"

Top heavyweight contender Junior Dos Santos is counting down the days until his showdown with former UFC champion Brock Lesnar.

How does Dos Santos expect to deal with an imposing force such as Lesnar?

There shouldn't be any secrets in this classic grappler versus striker matchup. Dos Santos has demonstrated a knack for stand-up violence, and Lesnar prefers to take his opponents to the ground and tenderize their faces with his lunchbox sized hands.

In 12 wins, Dos Santos has finished eight of those bouts by knockout. He'll be looking for the ninth on June 18.

"He's a wrestler, so he feels uncomfortable when people throw punches on him," Dos Santos told Ariel Helwani of MMAfighting.com on an episode of The MMA Hour. "I think his fight against Cain Velasquez shows good things for me, because I think he's got a weak chin. I will try to use that, try to throw some punches and try to use my boxing."

Velasquez's first round destruction of Lesnar was a surprising feat to some. On the feet, Lesnar didn't have an answer for Velasquez's boxing, and he was forced to seek out the takedown early. After getting taken down, Velasquez managed to pop back to his feet and overwhelm the former NCAA wrestling champion in the standup.

Dos Santos should be able to do more than mirror Velasquez's success on the feet. As arguably the best striker in the heavyweight division, there are very few fighters that can hang with "Cigano" in the exchanges.

The primary question mark heading into this bout is Dos Santos' ability to stuff takedowns and fend from his back. Velasquez is a former two-time All-American wrestler at Arizona State University, a background that Dos Santos doesn't have.

"My wrestling is very good, and I think it will be hard for him to put me down. I will be very prepared. I will be in shape. I have to be one hundred percent in that fight," Dos Santos said. "If he tries to put me down—for sure, he will try—but I will get up and keep the fight [standing]. That's my way to win the fight. I'm looking for the knockout all the time."

With Lesnar, the debate for some fans has always dealt with size and strength. He is a rare physical specimen in the heavyweight division that has commanded the attention of every fighter and fan.

Dos Santos could find himself in quite a predicament if Lesnar ends up on top, but the Brazilian is confident that his speed and boxing prowess will be the deciding factor.

"I think I'm faster than him, and I've got more experience inside the cage than him. He's a very good wrestler, a very strong guy, but I think that's not enough to be a complete UFC fighter. I believe so much in my boxing, and that's going to be the way I will [be] during the fight," Dos Santos said.

"I will use my boxing and my footwork to make him feel uncomfortable, and then I will throw some punches, and we're going to find out if he is a really tough guy."

 

(SportsHaze.com)

For continued coverage of MMA follow us on Twitter @ SportsHaze_MMA

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/671662-junior-dos-santos-on-brock-lesnar-hes-got-a-weak-chin

Michael Bisping John Hathaway Mike Pyle Travis Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment