Friday, June 24, 2011

UFC 132: Urijah Faber Says It's His Time to Prove He's the Best at 135

The UFC's first ever bantamweight title fight is almost a week away, with UFC 132 showcasing a huge grudge match between champion Dominick Cruz and top contender Urijah Faber.

It's no secret that Cruz and Faber have a lot of bad blood between them stemming from their last match four years ago.  In recent months, this feud has grown as the July 2nd bout draws closer, with this extended war of words a bit of an oddity for Faber.  

"I've never been really an emotional fighter," Faber told the press at Tuesday's conference call, "but that's because I'm usually indifferent or like the guy I'm fighting."

Asked if they would bury the hatchet after the fight, Faber simply replied, "For the record, after the last time we fought, we didn't become friends afterwards."

It's interesting to see how both fighters have changed since Faber choked Cruz out in 2007.  

Back then, Faber was rolling over guys without even going through full training camps with his current team.  In fact, Faber didn't enter his normal fight routine until 2008, almost two years into his reign as the WEC Featherweight champion.

"I hadn't started with my new trainer yet, my first fight under a full training camp under Master Tong was the Jens Pulver fight," Faber said.

Meanwhile, Cruz hasn't lost a fight since succumbing to Faber's guillotine, finding success as the champion at 135.  Cruz has improved every aspect of his game en route to the title.

For Faber as well, the drop to bantamweight has been accompanied by many great changes in his fight game. 

"I'm smaller and faster and at my more natural competition weight and I've improved," he said. "I never stop improving on my Jiu-Jitsu. I never stop improving on my wrestling. I feel like I'm in the prime of my life."

Faber went on to say that his experience as the headliner of many title fights will also be a major factor in this bout.  He believes that his fights, especially his losses to Mike Brown and Jose Aldo, have given him the ability ease his nerves.

"I really enjoy what I'm doing. I don't sweat the little stuff," he said.

He admits, however, that this shot at the belt will be quite different, considering that this time it is for UFC gold.

"There's a little bit more attached to it I think," Faber said, going on to say that he feels "a little bit antsy" as well.

What hasn't wavered throughout the years has been his confidence, an attitude that the "California Kid" always sports.

"Bottom line is, I'm the best 135-pounder in the world and it's my time to prove it." 

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/746684-ufc-132-urijah-faber-says-its-his-time-to-prove-hes-the-best-at-135

John Hathaway Mike Pyle Travis Browne Randy Couture

No comments:

Post a Comment