Saturday, May 28, 2011

UFC 130 FIght Card: Thiago Alves vs Rick Story Preview

UFC 130 is set to take place on Saturday, May 28 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The main event on the card will feature a light heavyweight battle between former UFC champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Matt Hamill. The co-main event will be a heavyweight showdown between two highly ranked fighters, former UFC champion Frank Mir and Roy "Big Country" Nelson.

Welterweight fighters Thiago Alves (18-7) and Rick Story (12-3) will meet on the pay-per-view portion of the fight card.

Alves, who has struggled mightily in the past with making weight, had no issues on Friday night as he took to the scale with weight cutting guru Mike Dolce at his side.

Alves, while 1-2 in his last three fights, with losses to Jon Fitch and Georges St-Pierre, remains ranked in the top five in the welterweight division. Alves is coming off a win in his last bout, a three-round unanimous decision win over John Howard at UFC 124.

Alves was surprised to hear that Story had requested a fight with him. "He wants to fight me, calling me out like that? Be careful what you wish for."I’m training like a maniac," Alves told MMAWeekly Radio. "I’m training like I’ve never trained before. He’s going to get the best Thiago Alves ever, so I hope he’s training his ass off.”

Alves then offered his prediction for the fight. “He says he wants to stand up with me," he said. "Let’s see if he can back up the talk. It’s going to be a very early night for him.”

Story, extended his winning streak to five fights when he defeated Johny Hendricks in December at The Ultimate Fighter season 12 finale. He then appeared on the Savage Dog Radio Show and requested the fight with Alves, saying “I want to fight Thiago (Alves)."

“I know that somebody like Thiago Alves, beating him, it would make people realize, ‘This guy is for real,’” Story continued. “I just want everybody to know that I am for real and I’m not going to stop until I get that number one spot.”

Story will get his chance to move toward that No. 1 spot on Saturday night, but he has a huge roadblock in his way in Alves.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/715665-ufc-130-fight-card-thiago-alves-vs-rick-story-preview

Tito Ortiz Dan Hardy Carlos Condit Michael Bisping

No comments:

Post a Comment