Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Not Looking Past UFC 132, Carlos Condit Craves All Welterweight Challenges

Carlos “Natural Born Killer” Condit aims to hit championship targets no matter what organization they are in.

For the 27-year-old, stringing together four consecutive victories means ending Dong Hyun Kim’s five-fight win streak at UFC 132 on July 2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Adding “Stun Gun” to an Octagon resume boasting wins over Jake Ellenberger, Rory MacDonald, and Dan Hardy is ideal for the former WEC Welterweight Champion, who intends to entrench himself atop one of the most storied divisions in the UFC. 

"It's a tough match up for me. I definitely think it’s a good test,” Condit told ESPN’s Inside the Cage radio. “Dong Hyun Kim does what a lot of the top welterweights do: his game plan is to use his wrestling and his size and his strength to basically impose top control."

The Greg Jackson-trained fighter returns to action after withdrawing from a scheduled February slug fest with Chris Lytle at UFC 127. Condit netted an extra $85,000 for a Fight of the Night versus MacDonald at UFC 115, $65,000 for knocking out Dan Hardy at UFC 120, and hopes his bout against Kim at UFC 132 can be his third consecutive incentive bonus. After all, prizefighting is about performance and Condit to make statements with his outings July 2 and beyond.

"I really feel like I'm in my prime. I think these next couple of years are going to help define my career and my legacy,” he said. “I'm looking to make a run and hopefully get that belt around my waist.”

Condit recently called out former two-division champion B.J. Penn, attempting to take on the names that make for action-packed, marquee fights that can build a career and define a legacy. Instead, he meets the Korean judoka, a stern yet unheralded opponent. Still, Kim fits well into Condit’s future plans.

"I was a little bit disappointed I didn't get to fight B.J. Penn. A lot of the other top welterweights are either booked for fights or aren't going to be ready in the time frame I'm trying to compete,” he admitted. “I think [Jake] Shields is definitely on the horizon for me. I definitely would like to get in there and try to avenge a loss. If I have a good showing against Kim, I imagine I'd get a title shot."

A four-fight win streak—and a pre-requisite impressive showing against Kim—would place Condit in a contender spot for the UFC belt or near it, but that doesn’t mean Condit is unwilling to take longer and tougher routes either.

"It's been my goal since I started fighting,” he said of being the UFC champion, adding, “I think a possible number one contender fight with me and [Strikeforce Welterweight Champion] Nick Diaz is a possibility as well."

Condit believes he can take on fighters firmly among welterweight’s elite like Dong Hyun Kim, Jake Shields and Nick Diaz because he sees himself mixing it up UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre someday despite the two training under the Greg Jackson banner.

"In fact, we really haven't trained much together. The possibility of us fighting is very real. For the most part, when he's in and I'm in at the same time, we just kind of stay on our own sides of the gym,” said Condit. “As far as training, it definitely throws in complicated issues as far as coaching, but I guess we'll have to cross that bridge when we get there."

Danny Acosta is the lead writer at FIGHT! Magazine. Interview was conducted by Acosta along with Greg DeLong on ESPN's Inside the Cage 1450a.m. Reno. Follow him on twitter.com/acostaislegend

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/705278-not-looking-past-ufc-132-carlos-condit-craves-all-welterweight-challenges

Travis Browne Randy Couture Jake Shields Martin Kampmann

No comments:

Post a Comment