Monday, February 14, 2011

Strikeforce Fedor Vs. Silva: Recap Of The Night, Chael Sonnen Said What?

Now, I know this isn't in the order readers may expect it, but I'd like to lead off with a very quick, shocking quote courtesy of Paullazenby.com from MMA bulletin board extraordinaire Chael Sonnen, which many fans and journalists in the MMA community I'm sure have already seen, but for those of you who haven't:

"Thank you, Anderson, for revealing yet another weakness for me to exploit in our rematch. Beating that poor punching bag doesn't impress Uncle Chael, guy. You tipped your hand like a chump poker player at a $5 table in Atlantic City. You may have beaten Vitor, but in the process, you LOST your edge. By beating that husk, you gave me the last page of your playbook. Revel in your time, [because] it ENDS the night you face me. I will mow you down like autumn wheat, AGAIN."

Lazenby, days later, continued by saying Sonnen followed up with these remarks:

"Here's a little something for you "pocket protector/number cruncher" types: I hit Anderson Silva with more unanswered, undefended strikes than any fighter has landed on an opponent in the history of combat sports. Go count 'em up, Poindexters.

I struck him more times than Quasimodo struck the church bell at Notre Dame. I hit him so many times that I stopped fighting because my fists bouncing off his melon were ringing so loudly that it sounded like a bell, and I thought that the round, and the fight, were over. Actually, that's not true—I actually stopped out of mercy and boredom.

God knows, if he hit me with a 10TH of the undefended shots I hit him with, the ref would have pulled him off me faster than a meth-head pulls the foil off a dozen shoplifted Dristan tablets. I hit him enough to have the fight stopped FIVE TIMES, in FIVE separate rounds.

Therefore, I consider myself 5-1 against him, even allowing for his tainted triangle which only came after I thought the fight was over, and I had already turned the side of his head into a bowl of porridge with my fists."

Now normally I wouldn't put such a long quote, but I feel it is worthy of being cited. Sonnen's always been in the news for his comments, particularly about Lance Armstrong and Anderson Silva, but is this taking it a little bit too far?

 

Fedor, Arlovski Lose; Retirement Talk?

With losses by both Fedor Emelianenko and Andrei Arlovski at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva, more talk of retirement now surrounds the two as each minute passes. Emelianenko was savagely beaten in the second round of his matchup against Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, while Arlovski suffered a first round KO at the hands of Sergei Kharitonov.

There has been talk of Scott Coker superseding the tournament standardized rules, and putting Emelianenko back into the tournament. But if Emelianenko's words in his post-fight interview with Gus Johnson hold any water, "The Last Emperor" may well indeed be finished.

"Maybe it’s time to leave,” he said. "Yes, maybe it’s the last time. Maybe it’s high time. Thank you for everything. I spent a great, beautiful, long sporting life. Maybe it’s God’s will."

 

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Results, News and More

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/607239-strikeforce-quickie-recap-chael-sonnen-said-what

Tito Ortiz Dan Hardy Carlos Condit Michael Bisping

No comments:

Post a Comment